Site Meter

Friday, March 09, 2007

It's FAN-tastic

During a recent email exchange with my husband, I found out he is no longer following Illinois athletics. Having endured two miserable years of Gator football under the tutelage of Ron Zook, I can understand his disinterest in Illini Football. However, his "boycott" of Illinois Athletics has to do with the University's caving in to political correctness. The NCAA wouldn't allow Illinois to host any type of tournament as long as their mascot was Chief Illiniwek. Illinois bowed to the pressure and retired the Chief earlier this year.

I don't know where this leaves Notre Dame. I'm not sure that the portrayal of the Irish as Leprechauns is flattering.


For the record, I will still support the University of Florida even if the Gators are forced to abandon Albert. You never know, PETA could claim that it is cruel to put a ballcap and sweater on an alligator.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home