Site Meter

Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11, 2006

Prior to five years ago, the only significance of September 11th was that it was my father's birthday. Holly, my five-year-old, knows that September 11th is Granddaddy's birthday and a very important day because something terrible happened.

Holly was only eight months old on September 11, 2001. I knew that day she would never know the world as I had known it. How I wish she could grow up only knowing this day as Granddaddy's birthday.

A very compassionate person came up with a brilliant idea to have bloggers honor each life lost to the terrorist attacks on 9/11.

Tribute to Dorothy Chiarchiaro


It is difficult to sit down and write about a person that you've never met. In doing research, I felt like a voyeur peering into Dorothy's life. It was a wonderful life indeed.

The things I've gathered: She was 61 years old and would have turned 62 on October 4th. She was married for 37 years to her husband Nick. Dorothy and Nick had two children and three grandchildren. Her friends called her Dotty. She liked Latin dancing, needlepoint, decorating and loved to travel. Another favorite pastime appeared to be bantering back and forth with Nick. In one article, Nick lovingly referred to Dorothy as kind, considerate and cantankerous.

The things I know: She was loved by her family and will be carried in their hearts forever.

To the Chiarchiaro family: I feel quite honored to have been assigned your wife/mother/grandmother/sister/aunt. From the glimpse into her life I can tell she is someone I would be proud to call my friend. Reading the entries in her guestbook tells me the indelible mark she left on all of your hearts. It's that kind of love I want to leave as a legacy to my own daughter. It's that kind of love that will serve as a constant reminder to tell her how much she means to me.

Dorothy: I never knew you but I will never forget you.

2 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Beautiful Linda! It is as if she helped you write it!

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger KC said...

Linda, thank you so much for this beautiful tribute. I have linked your tribute to a post i wrote today in my blog. Thank you for your touching words and taking the time to do such a wonderful thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home